Monday, April 16, 2007

something different

Our blog's posts are all about western snacks (chips, fries etc) so I figured I would do something on local products such as...


TAU SUAN - one of my favourite desserts! <3>

I went out with my family one day and my mom suddenly felt nostalgic so she dragged us to nearest hawker centre. I think it is called People's Park. Quite famous, according to her. I was really annoyed due to lack of air-conditioning but soon began enjoying myself. Ah, as long as there's food and drinks, I'm happy. :D I had... TAU SUAN for dessert! Whoots.



It looks disgusting huh. All slimy and gooey. BUT~ It tastes awesome and I love it! Of course, there's a downside to eating this.


Recipe for Tau Suan:

Ingredients
600 gms skinned green beans
Pandan leaves
300g sugar (reduced or increased to suit taste)
2000ml water
160g sweet potato flour, sifted
250 ml water

Method
1) Soak the beans for one hour. Steam over boiling water for about 30 minutes until beans are soft.
2) Boil pandan leaves and sugar with the 2000ml water.
3) Blend the sweet potato four with 250ml water.
4) When the sugar water boils, lower the heat and stir in the sweet potato flour to thicken.
5) While stirring in the flour, add in the steamed beans.
6) Served hot.

Ugh. The sugar, flour etc = carbohyrdrates = fats = putting on weight.


T_______T


I feel so much better already. Yes.


And... My mom had Ice Kachang.


I am quite sure this is invented in Singapore (because of that 3 seconds appearance in the 'Home' MV - Singapore National Day song. Remember? 'This is home truely where I know I must be' etc. :D) So I went to do some background research.
Wikipedia:
Ice kacang or Ais kacang (Chinese: 红豆冰; pinyin: hóngdòu bing; literally "red bean ice"), is a dessert served in Malaysia and .




O_O!!

Malaysia and?! AND?!

I AM QUITE SURE THAT BLANK THERE IS 'SINGAPORE'. *feelings of patroism emerge*

Er, okay back to topic. Just one glance at an Ice Kachang and you know nothing good will come out from eating eat. It's just ice, syrup and tons of jelly and sweetened beans. MORE OVER, COCONUT. Wow. Go run that 100 laps.

Even so, I am really happy to be living in Singapore. Most Singaporeans don't appreciate the wide variety of foods we have here. My mom told me about her stay in Hawaii where she had to stuff herself with burgers and pizzas everyday. If it was me, I would have died. In Singapore, we walk in to any food court or hawker centre and we instantly get at least 20 different kinds of food. Be it carrot cake, hor fun, ban mian, chicken rice, prawn mee, mee pok, hokkien mee etc etc ETC.

Singapore = Food Paradise.

I love this place.


Oh oh oh. I know this is rather belated, but HAPPY EASTER'S.

I had Easter eggs!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

YOU SPY THE BIO WORKBOOK. Look! Look! Substrates ^^

No, I didn't finish the whole thing by myself. I had help from my cousin and brother.

Refer to previous post about disadvantages of Chocolate.

I never knew Easter was around Good Friday. I always thought it was near Christmas. Yes, I do live under a rock, thank you very much.

I suppose my post isn't very educational. However, I thought I should do something light and something you could relate to (LOCAL DESSERTS <3).>

Extra: Ever since I started on this blog, my tastebuds changed. I hate fast food and sweet stuff (desserts not included! They are different.) Whenever I look at fries, I think of the trans fats and the oil oozing out from them. I get so repulsed, I can't even bring myself to touch it. Soem goes for pizza. Have you ever noticed? It shines.

My life will never be the same again.

[mood thoughtful Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket ]

[music Яaven Loud Speeeaker - Nightmare ]

- Willa

No comments: